Super foods, named for the broad range of nutrients they contain, offer powerful health benefits when eaten alone. But combined with other super foods into a super-healthy meal, they make an even bigger difference. Making healthier eating choices happens one meal at a time. Sure, you may splurge and eat something fried here or something sugary there, but the best way to think about making your diet healthier is to start one meal at a time.
Starting to include multiple super foods into even one lunch or dinner a week can lead to more dramatic lifestyle and health changes. Foods such as salmon and kale are easy to prepare and provide a host of vital nutrients to keep your body humming along.
Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are important inflammation fighters that keep your heart healthy and can reduce the intensity of chronic pain. Kale falls into the cruciferous family of vegetables, one that’s frequently touted for its robust array of anti-oxidants, cancer-fighting compounds, and inflammation-busting nutrients.
Together, salmon and kale not only taste good, but they promote health from the inside out.
The recipe below includes avocado, which some people try to avoid because of its high fat content. However, the fat is unsaturated, which generally doesn’t hurt your heart. The monounsaturated fat in avocados is the same kind of fat as in olive oil, leading many health experts to consider the fruit a super food right alongside the better well known ones. Avocados contain protein, fiber, potassium, folate, and vitamins C, K, and B6. They’re also a wonderfully creamy fruit that’s both healthy and filling.
Avocado Salmon Salad with Kale
- 3/4 pound salmon filet
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 6 cups baby kale
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeño peppers, or to taste
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a small baking pan with parchment paper. Place salmon in the pan, flesh-side up, and bake 10 to 12 minutes, until it cooks through.
- Mash half of the avocado with the lemon juice and one tablespoon of water in a large bowl. This will create a chunky dressing. Add kale and mix well, making sure to coat all the leaves. Divide the salad among serving plates.
- Once the fish is done, allow it to cool slightly. Remove the skin and discard. Flake the fish with a fork, separating it into pieces.
- Top the kale salad with the flaked fish, remaining avocado and jalapenos. Serve.
What’s your favorite super food meal?
Adapted from Whole Foods Market
Image by Chad Miller via Flickr