When a headache strikes, you can strike back by eating foods rich in magnesium! Magnesium works to relax blood vessels and muscles in the body, which will in turn help to alleviate the pain in your head. Pumpkin seeds are particularly rich in this nutrient, with ¼ cup containing nearly ½ of the recommended daily amount of it. You can snack on the seeds plain or make this simple pesto at home. It’s delicious spread over bread or crackers, or used as a dip for fresh vegetables!
Pumpkin Seed Pesto
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ tablespoon Nutritional Yeast (or ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Using a food processor or a spice mill, grind the pumpkin seeds to a fine consistency. Set aside.
- Place the herbs, lemon juice, and water in the food processor. Pulse (adding more water if necessary) until a thick liquid is formed.
- Mix the herb mixture with the pumpkin seeds. Add the Nutritional Yeast and garlic powder, and stir to combine.
- Serve with bread, crackers, or fresh vegetables.
Do you enjoy pumpkin seeds?